2) Don’t Let Your Deal Go Down/Doc Watson (guitar & vocals) – 12/31/61 – Deep Gap Tapes
3) Dream of the Miner’s Child/Doc Watson (guitar & vocals) – 5/17/63 – Ashegrove/LA, CA
4) Peach Pickin’ Time in Georgia/Doc Watson (guitar & vocals) – 6/21/69 – Bean Blossom Workshop
5) Goin’ Down the Road Feelin’ Bad/Doc & Merle Watson – 8/22/69 – Philly Folk Festival
6) Blackjack County Chain/Doc & Merle Watson – 3/1/73 – Lisner Auditorium/Washington, DC
7) Country Blues/Doc & Merle Watson – 4/27/74 – Marin County Bluegrass Festival
8) Deep River Blues/Doc Watson & Merle Travis – 1976/Walnut Valley Festival/Winfield, KS
9) Wild Bill Jones/Doc Watson (banjo & vocals) – 8/19/78 – Fiddler’s Convention/Mountain City, TN
10) Cyprus Grove/Doc & Merle Watson w T. Michael Coleman & Marty Stuart – 9/21/79 – Oberlin College/Oberlin, OH
11) The Cuckoo/Doc & Merle Watson w T. Michael Coleman – 7/4/80 – Freedom Park/Charlotte, NC
12) Tennessee Stud/Doc & Merle Watson w T. Michael Coleman – 8/7/80 – the Whitehouse/Washington, DC
13) Brown’s Ferry Blues/Doc & Merle Watson w T. Michael Coleman – 9/14/82 – PB Scotts Music Hall/Blowing Rock, NC
14) Southbound Passenger Train/Doc Watson w the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band – 2/8/83 – Great American Road Show/Houston, TX
15) Smoke, Smoke, Smoke/Doc & Merle Watson w Mark O’Conner – 3/6/83 – Starry Night Club/Portland, OR
16) The Last Thing On My Mind/Doc & Merle Watson w T. Michael Coleman – the Downhome/Johnson City, TN – unknown date
17) Windy & Warm/Doc & Merle Watson w T. Michael Coleman – mystery filler
18) Black Mountain Rag/Doc Watson w Jack Lawrence, T. Michael Coleman & Sam Bush – 6/21/86 – Telluride Bluegrass Festival
|Merle & Doc in 1971, with high-tech taper of the day.|
|(l-r) Pres. Carter, Merle, T. Michael & Doc - Whitehouse 1980|
Here's the introduction and Hold the Woodpile Down from the early set, as well as I'm Troubled.
These next songs are from the later set that night, a Friday where it started off as the duo but brought up a few guests as the set went along. These include T. Michael Coleman & Mike Auldridge on Solid Gone and Way Downtown.Same thing the next night but with some different guests. Here we have T. Michael Coleman again (he had just left as Doc's long-time bassist earlier in the year for the Seldom Scene but still shares an incredible musical bond) as well as Jerry Douglas, Pete Wernick & Tim O'Brien on Greenville Trestle and the Farewell Blues.
Lots more Doc next time with Volume 2 and more vids from Winterhawk '94...
Thanks for Listening!
Doc Watson's Last Tour (prose)
Phasinated/Doc Watson (wonderful listening page)